MUMBAI: SAB TV’s Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah is a comedy that is loved and enjoyed by all. It has engaged audiences for over a decade and continues to be one of the longest running shows. The Neela Telefilms’ show has attained cult status on the small screen.
It spreads social awareness in an entertaining manner while maintaining its position among the top ten shows across the channel. TMKOC is completing 10 years today (28 July) and is set to enter its 11th year.
On this special occasion, producer Asit Modi, shared, ‘Every year, 28 July comes, and we feel happy that another successful and joyous year has gone by. It doesn’t feel that we are embarking on our 11th year. It’s a show blessed by the Gods. Although in every track and story line, we have had nail-biting situations, but every time, with the grace of god, we have come out with flying colours. My actors and my team have been a big support. Viewers of the show have showered constant love. Yes, there has been some criticism, but we take it sportingly. We have had to compete with drama and saas bahu sagas on other channels, but our interesting story tracks and clean comedy with social messages has maintained the lead for our show. It is a complete family entertainer – a Family Comedy Show. Continuously, we have spread undiluted happiness. The only regret is that Kavi Kumar Azad is not with us to share this joy.’
He added, ‘The show has always aimed to bring about a positive transformation in the audiences’ perception towards societal issues by spreading awareness through the show in a comical manner, so much so that the TMKOC has come to be recognized as a platform for a progressive India.’
In today’s time, when shows shut down in a jiffy, Taarak Mehta has created deep roots and still has a long way to go. But what makes Taarak Mehta successful? Well, here are a few points that must be mentioned about the show that make it unique and entertaining.
1. No generation leap.
2. No change in actors (except Tapu).
3. Actors and characters grew naturally with time.
4. Almost all the characters have some peculiar habit: Daya with an unusual voice, Popatlal and his love for his umbrella, Bhide’s obsession with his secretarial post, Mrs. Taarak and her fascination with diet food, Jethalal’s love for Gujarati food fafda and jalebi, Baawri’s habit of forgetting names, and many others.
5. Asit Modi’s 100 % involvement in the creative.
6. Setting the trend for daily comedy.
7. Inclusion in LIMCA book of records as maximum number of telecast episodes in the comedy genre.
8. Talking about social issues in an entertaining manner.
9. Family show that can be watched by all generations together.
10. Gokuldham is a representation of Mini India.